Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my advisor?

1.      Log onto MyNKU

2.      Go to My Records

3.      Click on My Advisor

This should show your advisor’s contact information: location, email and phone number.

When should I schedule an advising appointment?

In order to be ready for Priority Registration, it's best to make an appointment with your advisor approximately one month in advance of your assigned registration time. Please see the Registrar Priority Schedule for the current Priority Registration schedule.

Am I required to see my advisor every semester before registering? When should I schedule an appointment?

Yes, you are required to see an advisor every semester before registering. Although you will discuss your courses for the next semester, the advising session is also designed to assist you with career options, internships/co-ops, any problems that you're having in class, completion of developmental and/or pre-requisite coursework, certifications, and plans for future semesters. It's very important that you be prepared for your advising session with courses that you'd like to take and any questions that you may have.

In order to be ready for Priority Registration, it's best to make an appointment with your advisor about a month in advance of your assigned registration time. Please see the Registrar Priority Schedule for the current Priority Registration schedule.

What are the deadlines for adding / dropping courses?

For full-session classes, the general deadline to add a course is the second Monday of the semester; the deadline to drop a course without a grade appearing on your transcript is the fourth Monday of the semester. After that point, you can officially withdraw from a course until the 11th Monday of the full semester. In this case, a "W" will appear on your transcript. First and second eight-week sessions, as well as summer and winter terms, will have different deadlines. Please consult the academic calendar for exact dates.

How do I change/declare my major?

Log into myNKU and navigate to the Student Self-Service/Academics tab.

Click the Program Change/Declaration folder in the Detailed Navigation pane, and carefully review the information and qualifications for changing or declaring a major, minor, area of concentration, or certificate/certification.  Tools such as degree audit and links to your degree requirement catalog and a full list of undergraduate majors are available to assist you in examining your options and the degree requirements associated with them.

When you have determined that you are qualified and ready to change or declare your academic program(s), the Undergraduate Form link will lead you to the electronic form, where you can make the appropriate selections and submit your change/declaration request for approval of the college/department of your new program.  Detailed instructions for completing the electronic form can be found on the myNKU Help and Reference website.

After submitting your request, you will receive an email with more information.  You may also need to make an appointment with an academic advisor in your new college or department before your request will be approved.  You can view a list of programs which require advising appointments, including contact information for the department so that you can schedule yours if needed.

You will receive a final email when the processing of your request is complete, and your program of study will be updated in myNKU.  If you need to cancel your request before processing is complete, refer to the myNKU Help and Reference website for instructions.

How can I get on the President's Honors/Dean's/Scholar's Lists?

If you are a full-time, undergraduate student who has earned a grade-point average of 4.00 at the end of a semester, you'll be appointed to the President's Honors List. All undergraduates attempting at least eight (8) semester hours will be placed on the Dean's List if they earn a grade- point average of 3.60 or greater. The Scholar's List is reserved for those undergraduates attempting at least three (3) semester hours and earning a GPA of 3.60 or better.

When should I apply for graduation?

Please refer to the Office of the Registrar's graduation information page, which includes dates and a downloadable checklist.

What is academic probation? Who do I need to meet with for advising if I'm on academic probation?

You will be placed on academic probation if your cumulative GPA falls below a 2.00. If this occurs, you will be notified by the Assistant Dean in writing at the end of the semester; guidelines for students on probation are outlined in the letter. For example, you cannot perform any transactions on myNKU if you're on academic probation; you must contact your advisor to make any changes to your schedule. Additionally, you cannot carry more than 13 credit hours per semester while on probation. When it's time to plan your schedule for the next semester, you should meet with your designated academic advisor to choose the exact courses that you'll take.

How do I petition for academic renewal?

According to the Undergraduate Catalog, a returning student who has not attended NKU for a minimum of two, full consecutive academic terms (for example, Fall, Spring, or Summer, but excluding Winter term) may petition for academic renewal of NKU coursework or coursework from a previous institution on a one-time only basis.

If you have successfully completed the first 12 semester hours of college-level coursework attempted at NKU with a GPA of 2.00 or higher and you decide to apply for academic renewal, you should obtain an Undergraduate Academic Renewal Petition form from the Office of the Registrar webpage. If the petition is approved by your advisor, the Office of the Registrar will remove the calculation of the GPA that applies to the bankrupted courses, and your NKU transcript will indicate the term(s) bankrupted. Although the courses in the terms affected will be removed from the calculation of the grade-point average, they will still visually remain on your NKU transcript. Please consult your advisor for more specific information on academic renewal.

What are "Options to Repeat"? How many can I use?

An Option to Repeat form can be filed with the Office of the Registrar and is most commonly used if you receive a "D" or "F" in a course and then re-take it. Once you've completed the course for the second time and the Option to Repeat form is processed, then your GPA will be recalculated to only include the grade that was earned the second time. However, all grades will still appear on the transcript. (For example, if you earned an "F" in CMST101 in the Fall semester and then repeated it in the Spring and earned a "B," the "F" would no longer be calculated in the cumulative GPA if an Option to Repeat form was filed with the Registrar.)

Every student at NKU is allowed to exercise four (4) Options to Repeat. If more than four "D" or "F" grades are earned, then you can request that the Associate Dean approve additional repeat options.

How do I appeal a final course grade?

If you feel that the final grade that you received was in error, you should first contact the professor who taught the class within 15 days of the grade posting in writing (letter or email). If you and the professor are unable to resolve the dispute, then you would need to contact the department chairperson in writing within 5 days of when the final grade was issued. At this point, the department chair will discuss the matter with both parties, and then render a decision in writing. If you are still dissatisfied with the action taken by the department chair, then you should make an appeal in writing to the Associate Dean who would then either make a decision after investigating the situation or consult with the Academic Appeals Committee. Please see the Grade Appeals in the Policies and Procedures section of the online catalog.

What is academic suspension?

If you are already on academic probation and then earn a semester GPA below 2.25, you will be suspended from NKU. You will then be required to remain out of school for at least two full semesters (Fall and Spring). After serving the period of suspension, you may petition for reinstatement by meeting with the Associate Dean and by providing a written statement regarding your plans for regaining good academic standing. The meeting with the Assistant Dean must occur by August 1 for Fall semester, December 1 for Spring semester, and May 1 for summer sessions. For more details, please consult the current Undergraduate Catalog.

What is NKU's test code for GRE and GMAT?

NKU's code for the GRE and GMAT is 1574. More information about these standardized tests is available here.