This procedure will result in assignment to a teacher education advisor familiar with the current curricular and admission requirements and with any impending changes that may occur prior to the student's admission semester.
All students interested in secondary education will have two advisors. One advisor will be in the content department and the other one will be an education advisor.
Teacher Education Program
Students should enroll in the EDU 104 course during their first or second semester at NKU.
After successful completion of the EDU 104 course and the specific course prerequisites, students can take the following education courses:
- EDU 300 — pre-req: PSY 100
- EDU 305 — pre-req: EDU 104
- EDU 313 — co-req: Admission Field Experience (EDU 303, 307, 309, or 311)
- EDS 360 — co-req: Admission Field Experience (EDU 303, 307, 309, or 311)
Criteria for the Admissions Field Experience
- Complete 45 semester hours of college coursework
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale OR a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed.
- Successfully complete the Praxis CASE tests administered by the Educational Testing Service (ets.org) with the corresponding minimum scores:
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading (5712) — 156
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Writing (5722) — 162
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Mathematics (5732) — 150
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Complete the required application for admission.
Dates to apply for the admissions field experience:
- Fall - March 1 - July 1
- Spring - October 1 - December 1
To receive admission to the teacher education program a student must have:
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale OR a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed.
- Achieved at least a B in ENG 291 or equivalent or passed the writing sample examination.
- Achieved at least a B in CMST 101 or equivalent.
- Achieved at least a C in EDU 300, EDU 305, EDU 313, and EDS 360.
- Achieved a "P" in the Admissions Field Experience (EDU 303, EDU 307, EDU 309, or EDU 311).
- Demonstrate the following skills: critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration. Demonstration of these skills will be determined in the following manner:
- Communication: CMST 101 and ENG 291 with a grade of B or better, or passed the writing sample evaluation.
- Creativity: Completion of any course under "Culture & Creativity: Arts and Humanities" with a grade of “C” or better.
- Critical Thinking: Completion of any course under "Scientific & Quantitative Inquiry: Natural Science OR Mathematics & Statistics" OR any course from "Self & Society: Individual and Society" with a grade of “C” or better.
- Collaboration: Completion of Admissions Field Experience with a grade of “P”.
- Earned 60 semester hours of course work.
- Filed three teacher education recommendation forms by professional educators.
- Signed a curriculum contract.
- Received approval of the Teacher Education Committee.
- Presented an approved portfolio.
For more information, contact the Advising Center at 859-572-6944.