Exploring Financial Options

Students and their parents are encouraged to work closely with the NKU Office of Student Financial Assistance as they explore options in meeting college costs.

After reading the consumer information on this page, you can contact our staff for answers to any additional questions.

Our office is in Room 301 of the Lucas Administrative Center. You can contact us via email at ofa@nku.edu or by phone at 859-572-5143. Our toll-free number is 1-888-225-4499.

Eligibility Requirements:

In order to determine your eligibility you must be fully admitted to NKU. You must annually complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The priority deadline to file the FAFSA each year is February 1st. You will not be awarded federal, state or institutional aid until your financial aid file is complete. Learn more about completing the FAFSA with this video guide:

You must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program to receive federal financial aid. During any semester (fall,spring, or summer), you must be enrolled at least half-time to receive a Federal Direct student loan.

You must also be maintaining progress according to NKU's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP). You must meet all federal, state and institutional eligibility requirements. All estimated awards are awarded based on of full time enrollment. Aid will be prorated or reduced depending on the actual number of hours you are enrolled.

Cost of Attendance:

The Office of Student Financial Assistance is required to establish an annual cost of attendance (COA). The COA is reflective of the student budget which includes: tuition,  room and board, books, transportation and miscellaneous expenses. Student budgets are different based on a student's residency (Kentucky resident/non-resident).

Student budgets also differentiate based on undergraduate, graduate and law programs of study. Cost of attendance can be prorated depending on the length of the term.  Please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance if you have any questions regarding your student budget.

Financial Assistance Websites

College Is Possible - Motivation for ages K-16 that help motivate students to achieve a college education

Department of Education - Higher education information

FinAid - SmartStudent Guide to financial assistance

NSLDS - Keep track of your student loans

Searching for Scholarship - Vast scholarship search

Budgeting 101 - Simple budgeting guide for college students

Student Renter's Guide - Tips for off-campus housing rentals

Student Complaint Process

Students are encouraged to resolve complaints at the appropriate level of dispute; however, should this approach fail or be inappropriate, students may submit written complaints to the Office of Student Conduct, Rights and Advocacy at scra@nku.edu.  All pertinent information should be listed including date, time, location, parties involved, witnesses, any attempts to resolve the complaint, and desired resolution. Anonymous complaints can be submitted in writing to the Office of Student Conduct, Rights and Advocacy at the address below. Once received, the complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate academic area or administrative unit for review.

Complaints are respected and honored. No reprisals or retaliation shall be invoked against any student for processing, in good faith, a complaint or for participating in any way in these complaint procedures.

All submissions will be kept confidential to the extent possible given the need to investigate the complaint, maintain campus safety, and comply with federal, state, or local mandates.

Office of Student Conduct, Rights and Advocacy
Student Union room 301
Northern Kentucky University
Highland Heights, KY, 41076

To file a consumer complaint against a Kentucky postsecondary institution, please write a letter to the address below or submit your complaint via cpeconsumercomplaint@ky.gov and include the following information:

1.    Name of student (or complainant)
2.    Complainant address
3.    Email address
4.    Phone number
5.    Name of institution
6.    Location of institution (city)
7.    Dates of attendance
8.    A full description of the problem, any relevant documentation that will support the complaint such as correspondence, and the desired outcome.

Mailing Address:
Institutional Complaints
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601

You may also contact our accrediting agency the Southern Association of Colleges and School Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) if you have a concern about the institutional accreditation status. The Commission’s complaint policy, procedures, and complaint form are available at: www.sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/complaintpolicy.pdf.

Contact information for student complaint processes in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico:

Ombudsman Information

To contact the FSA Student Loan Ombudsman Group:

Via on-line assistance

Via telephone:  877-557-2575

Via fax:  606-396-4821

Via mail:  FSA Ombudsman Group
                P.O. Box 1843
                Monticello, KY 42633