There are many national organizations specially designated to support authors and musicians to learn more about protecting, getting credit and compensation for their intellectual works. Examples of organizations to support musicians include ASCAP and BMI. See and for more.

Obviously, musicians want to protect their works and also receive compensation when other artists perform their musical works.  Before they may do this, they must register copyright of their works with the copyright registration agency for their country.  Once their works have been registered for copyright, they should turn to performance rights agencies for royalties.

There are various entities for different types of royalties including:

  • Mechanical Rights Royalties for commercial recordings.
  • Performing Rights Royalties for public performances.
  • Digital Rights Royalties for online digital recordings.
  • Synchronization Rights Royalties for television and movie music use.
  • Print Rights Royalties for scores and sheet music.

Examples of organizations to support artists, authors, journalists, and scholars, include:

The Encyclopedia of Associations is another useful resource for artists, authors, and musicians to locate supportive organizations to help with their specific needs.Informative books such as This Business of Music by M. William Krasilovsky and Moser on Music Copyright by David Moser provide helpful details on related legal and contractual background of music.

Musicians starting up their own band or recording label need to determine whether or not their name of their band or recording label is original and then register for a trademark with their state or with the federal USPTO

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Information on this page and other content from the IPAC website, programs, or services is provided for informational purposes only. Any information provided should not be considered legal advice. The IPAC seeks only to facilitate related information and community connections to further IP awareness. Any information received from IPAC should not substitute for securing legal advice from a licensed attorney.