In Kentucky, there is a program that can help families with dependent children. It is the Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP). KTAP provides temporary cash assistance to families with a dependent child who lack the support of one or both parents. KTAP also helps individuals find a job or receive training that leads to a job.

A family that includes an adult can receive KTAP for only 60 months (5 years) in a lifetime. Every month the family receives KTAP counts toward the 5-year limit. The family does not have to receive KTAP for 5 years straight. The family can receive KTAP for 2 years and stop. Later that same family can receive 3 more years.

To be eligible for KTAP, a student must:

  • be a resident of Kentucky.
  • enrolled at Northern Kentucky University.
  • receive KTAP (Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program) funds from the state of Kentucky, Department for Community Based Services (DCBS).

For more information on any of these services, please contact Amanda Johnson, the Coordinator of PAC at (859) 572-5988 or Office Hours are Monday - Friday, 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

For more information on KTAP, please visit the website for the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services at


The Office of Parents Attending College is funded through a grant 
from the Cabinet for Health & Family Services, 
Department of Community Based Services.