STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The primary mission of the Special Collections and University Archives Department is to document the history of the people, events, activities and built environment associated with Northern Kentucky University and its predecessors. As a state university, Northern Kentucky University is subject to Kentucky Public Law. The Special Collections and University Archives Department is designated as the official repository for Northern Kentucky University’s institutional records. Additionally, the department collects materials documenting select subjects and geographic regions. As such, the department’s function is to collect, preserve and make available records of permanent historical value regardless of format.
The Special Collections and University Archives Department primarily serves the university administration, faculty, and students, and secondarily the greater research community.
In keeping with the department’s primary function of fostering and supporting historical research:
- No food or beverages are allowed in the Archives Research Room.
- Patrons in the Research Room should be conducting research, viewing exhibits, or using resources which must remain within the Special Collections and University Archives Department.
- Patrons may be in the Research Room to receive instruction, individually or collectively, about specific resources, archives in general, or other information resources which are only available in the Special Collections and University Archives Department.
- Patrons may be in the Research Room to receive instruction or advice about records management or to assist department staff in work involving records about which they have knowledge.
- Upon occasion, the department may hold or sponsor activities or events which support the work of the department or Steely Library. Care will be taken during such activities for the space, furnishings and collection materials in keeping with the primary function of the department.
- The Research Room is not equipped nor intended to serve as a general meeting room. General meeting rooms are available on campus for that function.