I can't find my record on the retention schedule. Do I have to fill out a destruction certificate?

Probably. Some record series cover a broad variety of records that may be called something different from the terms NKU uses. In this case your record may actually be on the retention schedule, and a form is needed. Records and Information Management can assist you with this problem.

Extra photocopies of records are not generally covered by the retention schedule and may be destroyed at will. These do not require a form. Please check with Records and Information Management before destroying any such records.

In rare cases, your record should be on the schedule but isn't. There is a procedure for handling these records. Please contact Records and Information Management for assistance.

The retention schedule says that you can destroy specific records after so many years and an audit. How do you know when the records have been audited?

An audit is considered completed for all state agencies once the Auditor has released the Single Statewide Audit of Kentucky (SSWAK) for a given fiscal year. The SSWAK is released at the end of March or beginning of April for the preceding fiscal year.

[Answer provided by the State Records Manager]

We are digitzing our paper records. Can we throw out the originals?

It depends. Non-permanent records may be scanned and the originals destroy. You will need to file a Records Destruction Certificate documenting the destruction of the original records. If they are permanent records, the law requires permanent records be maintained in an "eye-readable" format. This means either paper or microfilm. Microfilming services are available from the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives. Please contact Records and Information Management for more information.

What about my computer files? Do I have to print them out and keep the paper?

No. If the record is "born-digital", meaning it began life as a digital file, it may be maintained in a digital form. The Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives and NKU's Information Technology department have both developed guidelines for backing up these files to insure they are maintained. Please contact Records and Information Management or Information Technology for further assistance.