Skip to main content

Gold Folder

Important Resources for Faculty and Staff

For immediate concerns:

University Police: (859) 572-7777
Off Campus: 911

Crisis Information:

Crisis Text Line: Text "START" to 741-741 to get help now
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-8255

Campus Resources:

Health, Counseling, and Student Wellness: (859) 572-5650
Community Care Team: (859) 572-5147
Office for Student Accessibility: (859) 572-5282
Title IX: (859) 572-7669
Norse Violence Prevention Center: (859) 572-5865
University Connect and Persist: (859) 572-7527
Student Conduct, Rights, and Advocacy: (859) 572-5147
Vice President for Student Affairs: (859) 572-6447

Referral Form:

Report a "student of concern" to the NKU Community Care Team at


If the student...


  • Threatens (or reports) a threat to safety of self or others.
  • Experiences a medical emergency.
University Police
(859) 572-7777 (Campus)
911 (Off Campus)
  • Presents as depressed, hopeless, or anxious.
  • Communicates self-harm, self-destructive, and/or suicidal thoughts.
  • Complains of a physical health concern (minor injury, flu, etc.)
Health, Counseling, and Student Wellness
University Center 440
(859) 572-5650
  • Reports financial stress.
  • Discloses overwhelming family concerns.
  • Becomes hospitalized or reports experiencing serious illness.
Community Care Team
Student Union 301
(859) 572-5147
  • Reports academic difficulty due to a physical, psychological, or learning disability.
  • Communicates a need for disability accommodations.
Office for Student Accessibility (OSA)
Student Union 303
(859) 572-5282
  • Communicates being a victim of sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, domestic violence, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, sex/gender discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, or any related issue.
Title IX
University Center 330C
(85) 572-7669
  • Discloses or shows signs of experiencing sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment.
  • Discloses difficulty related to a friend or family member experiencing any of the above issues.
Norse Violence Prevention* (NVP)
Albright Health Center 246
(859) 572-5865

*This is a confidential resource. Student does not need to make a formal report to the university's Title IX office in order to seek support.
  • Struggles academically.
  • Routinely misses class, arrives late, and/or failes to submit assignments.
  • Reports financial concerns.
University Connect and Persist (UCAP)
University Center 120
(859) 572-7527
  • Cheats on/plagiarizes assignments.
  • Demonstrates disruptive classroom behavior.
  • Fails to comply with a campus official.
  • Damages university/others' property.
Student Conduct, Rights, and Advocacy (SCRA)
Student Union 301
(859) 572-5147

Helping our Students

Medical Issues


  • Loss of consciousness.
  • Difficulty breathing.
  • Sudden pain.
  • Seizures.
  • Physical injury.


  • Immediately call for help.
  • Do not move an injured person.
  • Reassure and calm injured/ill individual.
  • Stay with the person until help arrives.


  • If emergency, call 911 or University Police: (859) 572-7777
  • Health, Counseling, and Student Wellness: (859) 572-5650


Mental Health Issues


  • References to suicide or self-destructive behavior.
  • Presents as depressed, hopeless, or anxious.
  • Abnormal behavior or speech.
  • Sudden change in behavior, appearance, or attendance.


  • Express concern.
  • Avoid criticizing or being judgmental.
  • Provide reassurance and encouragement as needed.


  • If emergency, call 911 or University Police at (859) 572-7777.
  • Health, Counseling, and Student Wellness: (859) 572-5650.

Behavioral/Social Issues


  • Known illness/injury or recent hospitalization.
  • Changes in mood, appearance, or behavior.
    • Displays anger/negative emotions inappropriately.
    • Disturbing written material/class behavior.
  • Intoxication or drug use.
  • Decline in school/social participation.
    • Concern that the student may be missing.
    • Excessive class absences.
  • Food or housing insecurity.


  • NKU Community Care Team (behavioral/social/safety concerns): (859) 572-5147.
  • University Connect and Persist (financial/academic concerns): (859) 572-7527.
  • Student Conduct, Rights, and Advocacy: (859) 572-5147

If you believe a student is in danger, contact University Police immediately at (859) 572-7777 or 911.

What is the NKU Community Care Team?

The NKU Community Care Team, formerly the Students of Concern Committee, is the behavioral intervention team for Northern Kentucky University and is interdisciplinary in its makeup. The NKU Community Care Team members provide guidance to the Student Conduct, Rights, and Advocacy (SCRA) staff on reports received related to students experiencing academically or socially disruptive situations and concerns.

Concerned about a student?

Report online to the Care Team:


Visit the Care Team website:


Call the Care Team: (859) 572-5147


Misconduct Issues


  • Disruptive Conduct:
    • Concerning outbursts.
    • Arguing that continues beyond the scope of academic debate.
    • Refusing to leave a classroom after being asked to do so.
  • Bullying or Harassment:
    • Behavior that might be threatening or intimidating which places another person in reasonable or actual fear of harm.
    • Any form of communication continued after the individual has been told to stop.
  • Threatening Conduct:
    • Intimidation or behavior that incites retaliatory behavior without the time or opportunity for dialogue or response.
    • Refusing to let others leave the classroom.
    • Throwing items in anger.
    • Having a weapon.


  • Threatening Conduct:
    • In the case of threatening behaviors, immediate action should be taken.
      • Contact University Police: (859) 572-7777 or 911.
  • Bullying/Harassment/Disruptive Conduct:
    • Ask the student to talk to you outside the classroom.
    • Express your concern for the student, focusing on the behavior.
    • Help student explore options for resolution.
  • Refer:

Crime Victimization


  • Crying, running out of the classroom and other signs of discomfort when sexual violence, domestic violence, stalking, or child abuse is the topic.
  • Visible bruise on face, throat, arms, or legs.
  • Change in demeanor, distracted, or shut down.
  • Appears to be afraid of another student in the same class.


  • Listen to and belive what the student tells you.
  • Do not ask for details of what happened.
  • Do not blame the student.
  • Do not pressure the student to report the crime but let them know it is an option.
  • Fulfill any reporting duties you have (e.g., Title IX, Clery Act, etc.)


  • Title IX Office (mandated report to NKU): (859) 572-7669
    Online reporting form:, click "file a report"
  • Norse Violence Prevention (confidential student resource): (859) 572-5865
  • Health, Counseling, and Student Wellness: (859) 572-5650
  • University Police: (859) 572-7777.