Advising FAQ


What majors are offered in the Department of Physics and Geology?

Students may declare a major in the following programs: Physics (PHY), Geology (GLY), Pre-Engineering (PENG), Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Technology (MMET), Electrical Engineering Technology (EET).

How do I declare a major or switch to a new major?

Print out the change of major form found here.  Complete the form and have it signed by the chair of the department that offers the major.  For the majors listed above, stop by SC 204I to find the chair (Dr. Sharmanthie Fernando).  Then you must return the signed form to the Office of the Registrar, located in the Lucas Administrative Center, on the plaza level.  The process is quick and easy.  Other student forms may be found Registrar's site or click here.

If I am a major in your Department, do I need an academic advisor?

Yes.  All students who have declared a major in one of the programs (EET, MMET, PENG, GLY or PHY) require advising.  Every semester just prior to registration students must make an appointment to see their advisor to decide their classes.  You will not be able to register until your advisor has removed the advising hold on your account.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

Once you log into myNKU you can find your advisor.  Verify that your advisor matches up with your declared major by clicking here.  If you need to change your advisor or you do not have an advisor at all, contact Dr. Dilupama Divaratne at (859) 572-5541.

How can I get an advising appointment?

Contact information on your advisor can be found here.  You can set up an appointment by phoning or emailing your advisor.  You can also set up an appointment directly by visiting your advisor during one of his/hers office hours.  Normally office hours are posted on or near their office door.  If you continue to have difficulty arranging an advising appointment, contact Dr. Dilupama Divaratne (859) 572-5541.