The Foreign Language Award for International Study (FLAIS) is a competitive award given to excellent students of language who apply for the award and meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be enrolled in or have completed at least the 102 level at NKU in the language being pursued abroad and must be enrolled at Northern Kentucky University.
- Applicant must be accepted and participate in a study-abroad program approved by the NKU Office of Education Abroad. If a student has not received an official acceptance in time for the FLAIS deadline, s/he/they may still apply for an award. If the applicant is selected for an award, it will only be granted once the official acceptance is submitted to the Department Office for consideration by the Awards Committee. Language acquisition must be a major component of the study-abroad program. For study abroad programs besides KIIS, tentative advance approval of credit for courses selected must be received from the Department of World Languages and Literatures.
- Upon return, student agrees to share his/her study abroad experience with the foreign language students and faculty via a talk, presentation or article in a university publication.
The maximum amount awarded will be $500.
Please follow these guidelines in asking a faculty member for a recommendation
- Request a letter of recommendation at least 15 days before the application deadline. Remember that the faculty member might turn down your request.
- Provide the name of the award being applied for, an accurate deadline, and submission instructions.
- Provide your recommender with a CV, which includes any awards and/or community service activities on and off campus the professor might not know about.
- Provide any further information pertinent to language study the professor might request.
Application form is available online or from the World Languages and Literatures office (MP 475).
For the 2021-2022 academic year, applications are due by the following deadlines. Please note that the deadlines fall on Fridays.
- November 12 for spring programs
- March 18 for summer programs
- April 15 for fall or full-year programs
You can submit a hard copy of your application in the World Languages and Literatures office (MP 475) or electronically by 4:00 p.m. on dates posted on-line. Achtung! ¡Ojo! Attention! お知らせ If you are submitting your application electronically, make one (1) file with all application materials scanned into it and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.