Skip to main content

International employees who begin their employment at Northern Kentucky University in a temporary work authorization status may want to seek employment-based U.S. legal permanent residence (also known as LPR, PR, and green card).

It is important that all recruitment and hiring be done in a way that meets the requirements for this process. Departments should contact International Student and Scholar Services. For a faculty position, contact the Office of the Provost at (859) 572-5788 for more information.


There are three steps in the process to establish LPR:

  • Determine eligibility for the appropriate employment-based LPR classification. The chair/director must contact ISSS who will facilitate the process.
  • The ISSS assists Dinsmore & Shohl LLP with filing the petition Form I-140 with the USCIS with the required supporting documentation.
  • The foreign national employee applies with Form I-485 to USCIS to request the change of status to LPR. The employee may prepare this application with the assistance of Dinsmore & Shohl. ISSS cannot provide legal advice to the employee regarding this application.