Skip to main content

First-Year Residency Requirement

Naomi Belanger
All full-time, first-time-in-college freshmen at Northern Kentucky University (NKU) are required to live in on-campus housing. Students may qualify for an exemption from this residency requirement if they can meet one or more of the following exemptions. Any students who may qualify and wish to be exempt from this policy must fill out the First Year Exemption form.  

Exceptions to this policy include students who meet one, or more, of the following exemption criteria:

  1. A student choosing to live at home, with their parent or guardian, at the physical address listed on their admissions application. To qualify for this exemption, the address must be in one of the following counties*:  

a. Indiana: Dearborn, Franklin, Jefferson, Ohio, Ripley, or Switzerland counties. 
b. Kentucky: Boone, Bracken, Campbell, Carroll, Gallatin, Grant, Kenton, Owen, Mason, or Pendleton counties. 
c. Ohio: Adams, Brown, Butler, Clermont, Hamilton, or Warren counties.

*If a student does not live at their listed permanent address for the duration of their first year or choose to live off campus without an approved exemption, they will be subject to the NKU Residency Requirement Policy and charged the full room rate for the term of the contract.

2. A student 21 years of age by September 1 of the upcoming academic year

3. A student married, divorced, or widowed.

4. A student who is pregnant, has children, or dependents.

5. A student currently serving or has served at least six months active duty in a branch of the U.S. military.

6. A part-time student (taking less than 6 credit hours per semester).

7. A student admitted into a fully online program. Students electing to take courses fully online may not qualify for this exemption if the program is not fully online.

8. A student residing at Opportunity House.

9. A student attending NKU classes at the Grant County Campus.

Other requests for exemptions may be approved by the University Housing Contract Review Committee or the Director of University Housing based on extenuating circumstances.  

Access the First Year Exemption Form