A psychological crisis exists when an individual threatens harm to himself/herself or others, or manifests extreme behaviors.
If a psychological crisis occurs on campus:
- Monday through Friday 8:15am - 4:30pm, call Counseling Services at (859) 572-5650 to respond to your location. After hours, call University Police at (859) 572-7777 or dial 911*.
- In a life-threatening emergency situation (i.e.: involving a weapon), immediately notify University Police at (859) 572-7777 or dial 911* and provide your name and location for officers to respond to the situation. University Police will notify Counseling Services.
- The Chief of Police and Vice-President of Student Affairs have a written policy concerning the hospitalization of mentally ill students.
- The Director of Health, Counseling and Prevention Services may be contacted. This will be in accordance with the University policy.
- CAUTION: NEVER TRY TO HANDLE A SITUATION ON YOUR OWN THAT IS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS.
Note: There are psychological consequences to every emergency. Counseling Services is available to assist with post-traumatic stress in all situations.
*Always indicate that you are at Northern Kentucky University when dialing 911