Skip to main content

If you are currently in service, you may be eligible for Veterans Education Benefits after two years of active duty. Please consult with the Education Services Officer at your installation, or call 1-888-GIBILL-1, for information about your eligibility.

  1. Consult with the Education Service Officer or Counselor (Active
    Duty/Reservist Only)
    Seek approval from your Education Service Officer, military counselor, or Service. If an eligible Service member seeks to use Tuition Assistance (TA), NKU may only enroll an eligible Service member after the TA is approved by the individual’s Service.

  2. Provide the Following to the Veterans Resource Station
    A.     Certificate of Eligibility/NOBE, Application form for Education Benefits if you are OHNG, INNG, KYNG, or Reservist. If you are also one of the above and have Active Duty time, bring in your DD-214 for evaluation for possibly other benefits. 
    B.    DD 214 (Member-4) – for Veterans and dependents apply for veterans benefits

  3. Apply for V.A. Education Benefits
    A.    New Application: Online at  (print a copy of the application, either 22-1990, 22-1990e, or 22-5490).
    B.    If you have used your benefits elsewhere: Fill out VA form 22-1995 or VA form 22-5495 to change your place of study with the VA at
    C.    Print and provide a copy of the online VA form to the VA Office.

  4. Get admitted to NKU
           Admissions Office or Online Apply

  5. Transfer Credits
        Complete a JST (Joint Service Transcript) request  for Air Force Transcripts, visit
    B.    Provide an unofficial copy of your transcript for review with an advisor.

  6. Apply for Financial Aid 
    and use the school code: 009275

  7. Take the Placement Test
            Review the link for details and exemptions - 

  8. Register/Attend an Orientation Session
        Cost is $100 paid via student portal
    B.    NKU has several sessions each semester just for veterans.
        Questions in regards to Orientation: email

  9. Consult an Academic Advisor
             For curriculum and/or class schedule call 859-572-6900

  10. Register for classes 
            Enrollment Window: Veterans and family members receive super priority registration.

  11. Fill out a Veterans Benefit Request form and submit it for certification
            NKU Veterans Benefit Request Form  at
            Please note that this form needs to be done every semester for certification of classes as well as if you should make ANY CHANGES to your class schedule. 

  12. See if there are any books you can borrow from our Veterans Lending Library or The UCAP Lending Library.

  13. Pay tuition not later than due date
    Ensure that you have visited a VA office for information before making a tuition payment
     B.      You have reviewed the tuition rates for Instate, Metro, or Out of State etc.
     C.      You have reviewed the payment options.


If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 859-572-7867

*GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)*